Cardinal Heenan

Cardinal Heenan

Catholic High School

Admissions Appeals
Admissions Appeals

Admissions Appeals


Appeals for Places in Year 7, September 2022

If the Governors have not been able to meet your preference for a place at this school for Year 7, starting in September 2022, you may appeal against the decision to Leeds City Council at by 29 March 2022.

Appeals submitted by 29 March 2022 will be heard within 40 school days.

Appeals submitted after this date will be heard within 40 school days from the date when the appeal is received; this may not be before the end of the academic year.

You will receive at least 10 school days’ notice of your appeal hearing.


Appeals for Places in Years 8, 9, 10 or 11, from September 2022 onwards

Please complete the online form at

Appeals against a decision for places in Years 8, 9, 10 or 11 will be heard within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged.

Following the appeal hearing, a decision letter will be sent within five school days of the hearing.

School days are term time only and do not include school holidays. If an appeal is submitted in the holidays the school days deadline will not start until the beginning of the next term e.g. an appeal received in July after schools have closed will not be heard until the new academic term; "school days" will start from the beginning of September when the term starts.

For further information please contact the Admissions Manager:
Tel: 0113 887 3240


Complaints About Appeals
My child did not get a place at the school we applied to. Can I complain to the Ombudsman?

  • In some cases, yes. The Ombudsman is not another level of appeal and cannot question decisions if they were taken properly and fairly by the admissions authority (at Cardinal Heenan, the school governing is the admissions authority) or the appeal panel.
  • The Ombudsman can consider your complaint if you think that a place at a school was refused because of some unfairness or mistake by the admissions authority, or if your appeal was handled incorrectly.
  • You can also complain if you have asked for an appeal and the admissions authority (at Cardinal Heenan, the school governing body) has not arranged an appeal hearing for you within a reasonable time.
  • You can complain to the Ombudsman if the school you have applied to is a community, foundation, voluntary aided, voluntary controlled or nursery school. The Ombudsman cannot deal with complaints about independent (private) schools or city technology colleges. The Ombudsman can deal with complaints about academies, but only where they have converted from maintained schools during the admissions process.


How do I complain?

  • If you are refused the school place you asked for and you want to pursue the matter, the first thing you need to do is to make an appeal to the independent appeal panel. Please see the top of this page for further details on this process.
  • If your appeal to the appeal panel is not successful and you think that the admissions authority or appeal panel has acted incorrectly then you can complain to the Ombudsman.
  • You should normally make your complaint to the Ombudsman within 12 months of realising that the admissions authority or the appeal panel has done something wrong.
  • To complain to the Ombudsman phone the helpline on 0300 061 0614 (8.30am to 5.00pm, Mondays to Fridays). You will be able to discuss your complaint with one of the advisers. You can text them on 0762 481 1595.
  • You can complete an online complaint form.