Cardinal Heenan

Cardinal Heenan

Catholic High School

How to Claim Free School Meals
How to Claim Free School Meals
 Free school meals application 17.11.21.docDownload
 Pupil Premium Free School Meal Letter December 2021.pdfDownload
Showing 1-2 of 2

Who is eligible for free school meals?
Children may be eligible for free school meals if their parents or carers receive any of the following benefits:

  • income support
  • income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • income based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190
  • the guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit
  • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit with an annual income of less than £7,400

If you get Working Tax Credit your child will not qualify for free school meals.
If a child receives free school meals, they will continue to get them, even if their parent's income changes. This will remain in place until Universal Credit is fully rolled out across the UK and will only end when they move from primary to secondary school.
Children who are eligible for a free school meal can also get a free carton of milk. Please check with your child's school to see what they offer.
The Universal Credit rollout is currently expected to complete in March 2022.


Asylum Seekers

If you are currently receiving NASS Support, you do not need to fill in a form. Just take a Home Office letter that confirms your name, date of birth and 9 Digit NASS Reference Number into school and they will contact Welfare & Benefits on your behalf to check the details. The school will be notified of your entitlement.

How to Apply

If you think your child could be eligible for free school meals, you can apply in one of two ways.


If you pay council tax in Leeds

If you live in Leeds and you do not already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you will need to complete our online form.


If you do not pay council tax in Leeds

If you are not charged council tax in Leeds but your child attends a Leeds school please, complete and return the free school meals claim form (Word 0.3MB) to:


Welfare and Benefits (FSM Claims)

Leeds City Council

Selectapost 15

Leeds LS2 8BA